As winter blankets workplaces with a craving for warmth and comfort, seasonal coffee flavours become a beacon of cosiness amid the chill. Each year, pumpkin-spiced lattes steal away the hearts of consumers – but what else can you do with coffee in winter?
Crafting The Best Christmas Coffee Blends
Embracing the festive spirit, we’ve curated our top picks for all things winter coffee – including syrups and recipe ideas – guaranteed to surprise and delight your customers and ultimately, bring your Christmas coffee offering to life.
Whether your business is looking for winter menu ideas for cafes or a restaurant, pub, venue or office space, the team here at Finlay Beverages are here to help, offering a legacy of quality and expertise to elevate winter coffee experiences in every corner. Make sure you check out our full range of coffee solutions here.
Winter Drinks: Coffee Syrups Unveiled
Winter coffee syrups play an instrumental role in transforming a regular cup of coffee into a memorable and personalised experience, elevating flavour profile with nuanced sweetness and depth.
Whether infused with classic vanilla, caramel, or more adventurous flavours like hazelnut and gingerbread, syrups are an easy way for coffee operators to tailor their drinks to suit various preferences, ensuring that your customers keep coming back time and time again.
Some of the most popular syrups in the industry include:
- Vanilla: A classic choice that adds a sweet, aromatic flavour to coffee drinks.
- Caramel: Known for its rich, buttery sweetness, caramel syrup is a favourite for lattes and macchiatos.
- Hazelnut: Offers a nutty, slightly sweet taste that complements coffee well, adding a warm and comforting flavour.
- Chocolate: Whether dark, milk, or white chocolate, these syrups bring a delightful cocoa flavour to mochas and other coffee-based beverages.
- Cinnamon: Adds a warm and spicy note to coffee, perfect for creating seasonal drinks or adding a touch of complexity to the flavour profile.
- Peppermint: Particularly popular during the festive season, peppermint syrup provides a refreshing and minty twist to coffee drinks.
- Pumpkin Spice: A seasonal favourite, combining cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger to create a warm and cosy flavour profile, intrinsically linked to winter coffee.
Our chosen syrup partner here at Finlay Beverages is Sweetbird. Based in Bristol, they offer the most creative barista syrups, as well as frappe and smoothie bases.
We’ve been lucky enough to try most of their range and recently launched a ‘Cinnamon Bun Latte’ at the latest Propel Hospitality event, which went down a storm. The drink was made using their Cinamon Syrup and Speculoos Syrup – a total crowd-pleaser this winter.
Make sure you check out their full syrup range here for even more Christmas coffee inspiration.
Winter Coffee Recipes: Creating Your Perfect Cup
Master the art of crafting winter beverages with our exclusive recipe for a Toasted Marshmallow Latte.
This drink is the perfect blend of comforting warmth and indulgent sweetness; where the rich and robust notes of our House Espresso Blend meet the nostalgia-evoking magic of Sweetbird’s Toasted Marshmallow syrup.
If you’re interested in finding out more about our House Espresso Blend and what it can do for you, get in touch here.
Toasted Marshmallow Latte Recipe
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making our Toasted Marshmallow Latte:
- Finlays’ Signature Espresso Blend
- Frothed Milk
- Sweetbird Toasted Marshmallow Syrup
- Brew the Espresso: Prepare a double shot of Finlays’ Signature Espresso Blend using your preferred coffee machine.
- Heat and Froth the Milk: Heat the milk to your desired temperature and froth it to achieve a creamy texture.
- Add Sweetbird’s Toasted Marshmallow Syrup: Depending on your preference, pour a generous amount of Sweetbird Toasted Marshmallow Syrup into the bottom of a serving glass or mug.
- Combine Espresso and Milk: Pour the freshly brewed espresso over the syrup, followed by the frothed milk, gently combining the layers.
- Garnish (optional): Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted marshmallow bits for an extra festive touch.
Unveiling the Top Christmas Coffee Picks
One thing is clear, flavour innovation continues to reign supreme this season in the out-of-home coffee market. We’ve seen Caramel Waffle lattes from Starbucks, Roasted Hazel Lattes from Costa, and Mint Mochas from Greggs.
If you’re looking to elevate your Christmas coffee offering, our recommendation would be to follow suit but think outside the box, which is easily achieved using a creative syrup and garnish, to ensure that your customers keep coming back every time.
Frequently Asked Questions About Winter Beverages
1. What makes a coffee blend suitable as a winter drink?
A suitable winter coffee blend often features robust flavours with hints of spices or richer undertones. Beans with chocolatey, nutty, or caramel notes tend to complement the season, providing a comforting and warming experience.
2. How can cafes and pubs incorporate seasonal flavours into their winter menu ideas?
Cafes and pubs can add seasonal flavours by offering special winter-themed drinks like spiced lattes, gingerbread mochas, or peppermint hot chocolates. Using flavoured syrups, seasonal spices, or unique ingredients can infuse these festive flavours into beverages, making great winter pub menu ideas.
3. Any special considerations for brewing winter coffee at home?
For brewing winter coffee at home, consider experimenting with flavoured syrups, cinnamon or nutmeg sprinkles, and even adding a dash of whipped cream or chocolate shavings to enhance the seasonal feel. Adjusting brewing methods to highlight rich flavours can also amplify the winter coffee experience.
4. How can businesses ensure a sustainable approach to their winter coffee offerings?
Businesses can ensure sustainability by partnering with suppliers committed to ethical sourcing and environmentally friendly practices, like Finlays. Using recyclable or compostable packaging and promoting reusable cups also contribute to a sustainable approach.
5. Can Finlays provide customised solutions for specific winter-themed events or promotions?
Yes, Finlays can offer tailored solutions for winter-themed events or promotions. From creating unique seasonal blends to providing festive recipes and marketing support, they assist businesses in crafting memorable winter coffee experiences.
6. What are the popular winter coffee trends for this year?
Recent trends in winter coffee include a focus on indulgent flavours like toasted marshmallows, salted caramel, or chai spices. Health-conscious options like oat milk-based drinks and inventive non-alcoholic coffee cocktails have also gained popularity for the winter season.